View of Back Bay, Queens Road And BB&CI Bombay, 1900 Photo
View of the Back Bay, Queens Road, and BB&CI office in Bombay as seen in this silver print photo of 1900. The views are of the majestic BB&CI building, the Back Bay, and Queens Road. The Bombay Baroda & Central India (BB & CI) Railway building is now known as the Western Railway Headquarters. The beautiful Back Bay would be reclaimed to form the Marine Drive and promenade, the Art Deco residences, etc.
The Queens Road, Later the Marine Drive was also known as the Queen’s Necklace Road. On the right of the BB & CI Railway building is the Esplanade or Maidan. Facing the Esplanade was the row of government buildings. Although not pictured here these were the High Court, Rajabai Clock Tower, and the Secretariat. Further down south, again not pictured here, would be Colaba. The Malabar Hill or Cumbala Hill is vaguely visible in the far distance.
Did you know – Churchgate was one of the five gates of Fort George, although the Fort walls were demolished in the 1860s the place still retains the name Churchgate.
Past posts – Lake & House On A Serene Moonlit Night, 1944 Painting., Devlali Military Canteen, Old Postcard 1900., Edwin Lutyens The Creator Of New Delhi, 1929 Print., Old Book 1911 – The Indian Coronation Durbar.