Aerial View of Bombay Fort Area, Old Photo 1930
This is an old 1930 aerial photo of the Fort area of Bombay, now Mumbai. The photographer was A R Haseler and the location is the Fort area or perhaps Colaba of 1940. A R Haseler was a famous British photographer based in Mumbai in the colonial era. It is believed that he was a captain in the British Indian Army before becoming a photographer.
His signature works were aerial photography of which this was one of them. Shown here is a scene either of Fort or Colaba or perhaps some other location in Bombay not sure which. The scene is before the coming of highrise concrete jungle which the city is now notable for. Normally people refer to the Fort as the southern part of the island city.
Although there is no sign of a fortress or its ramparts or bastion or even its ruins in and around the area. Many would find it hard to believe that it existed until the 1860s. There was indeed a huge fortress covering a vast area. And was called Fort George. It was in fact built by the East India Company, which took possession of the seven Bombay islands from the Portuguese in 1668.
Seven years after the archipelago was gifted to King Charles II of England. As part of his dowry when he married Princess Catherine Braganza, sister of the King of Portugal. Construction of this fort began in 1716. It had three gates, Apollo Gate, Church Gate (where Flora Fountain stands today), and Bazaar Gate. Within its walls was a castle. To make way for more space in the city this vast structure was demolished in the 1860s. Click on the photo for better view.
Did you know- the British first landed in India in Surat in 1608. Before the formation of Bombay, it operated from Surat.
From the collection- 1964 M. Suriyamoorthy Charcoal Art Abstract (#13)., Madras From The Lighthouse – Old Postcard 1903., Maharajah Of Travancore’s Durbar – 2 Old Prints 1852., Madras Railway Goods Engine – Old Print 1868