Madras From The Lighthouse – Old Postcard 1903
This is an old 1903 postcard of the lighthouse in Madras, now Chennai. Shows George Town, the area before Parry’s Corner came up, the Madras General Post Office building’s with its twin canopies. A partially visible port.
Fort St George had a residential area primarily for the Europeans hence it was called White Town. There was also a Black town which was the native’s residential area outside the fort on the northern side. By the beginning of the 1800s, the threat of war and skirmishes diminished from other colonialists (French, Dutch, Portuguese) and also local chieftains.
Gradually the residential area of Black Town would grow into a bigger township. By 1911 it was renamed George Town in honor of King George V’s visit to India. The Europeans also moved out of Fort St George to other areas. Essentially to The Great Choultry Plain, which was on either side of Mount Road near Nungambakkam of today.
Read more History of Chennai.
Did you know- the first British settlement in India was on a strip of land near the beach in Chennai.
More from the collection- 1964 M. Suriyamoorthy Charcoal On Paper (#2)., German Ship SMS Emden’s Expedition Photos., Page From Rare 1713 Latin Book on Calicut., Salsette or Mumbai Suburban – Vintage Map 1893