View Of The Ghat Road, Coonoor In The Nilgiris, 1905 Postcard


coonoor ghat road

View of the ghats and the road to Coonoor in Nilgiris is shown in this 1905 postcard. Bullock carts climb the rugged ghat road covered by lush forests. Coonoor is considered the gateway to Ooty. Which undoubtedly is the most famed of the hill stations in South India.

Situated in the Nilgiris or the Blue Mountains. Dense mist envelops the mountains most of the time and when viewed from a distance the mist looks blue. Probably one reason why Nilgiris derived its name. Another belief is that it was so named because the shrub kurunji turns the mountain blue with its blossom every 12 years.

The East India Company annexed the Nilgiris in 1799. John Sullivan, then Collector of Coimbatore, built the first stone house in Ooty. Later East India Company would develop the place with a sanatorium for sick European troops in India. They also developed the place with the Nilgiris Mountain Railway. That came in handy for passengers and moving cargo up the mountains.

Did you know – that because of Coonoor’s milder climate than Ooty, tea is grown throughout its region.

Past posts – 1964 M. Suriyamoorthy Charcoal Art Abstract (#14)., Beautiful Bombay In British Era, Old Photo 1890., Cochin Jewish Synagogue Old Print 1927., Indian Revolt Lucknow & The Residency – Vintage Map 1900.