Lighthouse On Kennery Island Bombay, 1868 Print
An old 1868 clipping showing the lighthouse on Kennery Island in Bombay (Mumbai). Taken from The Illustrated London News of 1868. The Kennery Island Lighthouse, now the Kanhoji Angre Lighthouse is on the island of Khanderi near Alibaug, Bombay. The British built the Lighthouse in 1867. The island is now known as Kanhoji Angre Island. Kanhoji Angre was the chief of the Maratha Navy in the 16th century.
Read more History of Kennery Lighthouse, Mumbai.
The island was once a property of the Portuguese. It was part of the Bombay dowry gifted to the British by the Portuguese. When the King of England married Princess Catherine of Portugal. It is an important landmark since it lies at the entrance to the Bombay harbour. There is a fort built by Shivaji that virtually encircles the enclave.
Did you know- La Coruna in Spain is the world’s oldest lighthouse. Built by the Romans in the 2nd century AD. It is also called the Tower of Hercules.
More from the collection- Vintage 1920 Card – Of The French Colonies In India., Vintage Postcard Coonoor Nilgiris., Antique Print India Brahmin Family 1861., 1964 M. Suriyamoorthy Charcoal On Paper Lovers (#5)., Old Postcard – Plan View Of The Town Of Cochin 1928Old Postcard – Plan View Of The Town Of Cochin 1928