Great Eastern Hotel Kolkata, Old Postcard 1905
An old 1905 photo postcard of the Great Eastern Hotel in Calcutta, now Kolkata. Considered to be one of the earliest hotels in India. Established by a Britisher David Wilson at Dalhousie Square in 1841. First named “Auckland Hotel” they changed the name to “Great Eastern” in 1915 The hotel opened remarkably with 100 rooms and a department store on the ground floor.
Prior to opening the hotel, Wilson operated a bakery on the same premises. The hotel expanded in the 1860s and inducted an Indian on its board of directors, one of the first in India. During its pinnacle, the Great Eastern was variously nicknamed the Jewel of the East and the Savoy of the East. The hotel and the store were so well furnished.
That It is believed a man can walk in one end purchase a complete outfit, have a meal, and if the barmaid was agreeable walk out the other end engaged to be married. The state government took over the management in the 1970s and operated it for around 30 years. Ultimately selling it to a private hospitality company the Lalit Hotels, Palaces, and Resorts in 2005. The Great Eastern in Kolkata is still in operation under this management. Click on the photo for better view.
Did you know- it was electrified in 1883, thus becoming the first hotel in India to be electrified.