Eden Garden & Harbour In Kolkata – Old Print 1905
This old print of Eden Garden & Harbour Calcutta or Kolkata dates to 1905. In 1690, Calcutta was a mere village when Job Charnock founded a settlement there and, six years later built Fort William. Calcutta then went on to become the capital of British India until 1911, King George V, announced Delhi as the new capital at the Delhi Durbar of 1911.
The view in the print is from the High Court overlooking the Kolkata Harbour and Eden Gardens. Calcutta’s Grand Maidan or Esplanade as the British called it was first called “Auckland Circus Garden”. Later renamed Eden Garden after Lord Auckland’s sisters Emily and Fanny Eden. Lord Auckland was the Governor from 1836-42.
It was opened as a huge public park and garden in 1840. The world-famous cricket stadium with the same opened in 1864 that came up in a part of this garden. The Kolkata port now named Dr. Syama Prasad Mookerjee was built on the River Hooghly in 1860. The Portuguese arrived in the 1530s and opened a post at the River Hooghly.
The Dutch arrived next followed by the French, the British were to arrive last and annexed the European settlements. They subsequently enlarged the already existing harbour in 1860. Today the Port Trust is one of the oldest and largest in India.
Did you know- the owner of Eden Gardens is the Indian Army and the club is on lease to the “Cricket Association of Bengal” or CAB.
From the collection- Raja Ravi Varma’s “Birth of Shakuntala” Oleograph 1894., Mumbai Railway Suburban Services – Old Print 1955., Vintage Wirephoto Korean War Prisoners UN India., Vintage Postcard Budhwar Peth Street Poona / Pune