Cantonment Market British Era Bangalore, 1905 Postcard

Cantonment Market British Era Bangalore, 1905 Postcard

A 1905 postcard of the Market at the cantonment during British Era Bangalore (Bengaluru). It shows the Market or the Russell Market in Bangalore’s Cantonment area. At that time it was an open-air marketplace, and the building did not come up until 1933. T B Russell the British Municipal Commissioner in 1927 took up the initiative and the drive to construct a building.

The building was completed in 1933 and named Russell Market in honor of Russell, who by then was in England after retirement. Because it was based in the Bangalore Cantonment area it catered to the officers and subordinates in the military and civil services. They stayed with their families for extended periods the market was a boon for their grocery and vegetable needs. Pictured in the bottom right corner are some European ladies out shopping in this famous market. 

Did you know- the building was designed by WH Murphy, executive engineer, of the Cantonment Municipal Council. Murphy Town was named after him.

From the collection- Raja Ravi Varma Commemorative Stamp Folder., Delhi Durbar Kingsway Railway Station – Old Photo 1911., Harper’s Magazine December 1870 to May 1871, Bombay Parsis., The Arsenal At Fort George Bombay – 2 Postcards 1900.