Cantonment Market In Bangalore – Old Postcard 1914
This is an old 1914 postcard of the cantonment market in Bangalore now Bengaluru. Russell Market is located in the cantonment area, now called Shivaji Nagar. Both the market and St Mary’s Basilica are visible on the left and right side of the picture respectively.
Because of the Cantonment Market’s rapid growth. In 1927 T B Russell the then Municipal Commissioner of Bengaluru had initiated the construction of a building with a clock tower.
After its inauguration in 1933, they renamed the new building to Russell Market in his honor (he had by then settled in England). In the late 19th century before any market coming up there it was marshy land a habitation for birds and animals. After the Anglo-Mysore wars, Bengaluru came under British rule. Cantonments were the creation of the British in whichever town they had a strong military presence. It was a self-contained city in a city.
Read more about – An Indian-style market built exclusively for British cantonment.
Did you know- there is another bigger market that is the K R Market in Bengaluru.