The Arsenal At Fort George Bombay – 2 Postcards 1900
Two 1900 postcards showing the lethal arsenal at Fort George in British-era Bombay (Mumbai). British-era Bombay seemed to have been armed to the teeth at one time, evidently to protect its interests. Although Fort George was demolished on the orders of then Governor Bartle Frere in 1862. To make way for further expansion in South Bombay, although the place is still called Fort even today.
Bombay was a group of seven islands that was under the control of the Portuguese. In 1661, the King of England Charles II was gifted the seven islands as a dowry. On his marriage to Catherine sister of the King of Portugal. Not having much interest in it the King leased the islands to the British East India Company. Who, in 1745 built a Fort to protect the port of Bombay. It was named Fort George after King George III of England.
Did you know – that it took 2 years to demolish the thick walls of the fort completely.