Ripon Building Municipal Offices Madras – 2 Postcards 1915
Two 1915 photo postcards of the Ripon Building Municipal Offices in Madras (Chennai). The Ripon Building stands magnificently in white on EVR Periyar Salai or EVR High Road. Earlier known as Poonamallee High Road and originally the Grand Western Trunk Road. It was one of the five roads that linked Fort St George to the outside world during the British era. Fort St George, Madras Central Station, Victoria Hall, etc, are all near to each other.
A tram and two early automotive vehicles are visible in the second postcard. Ripon Building is today the headquarters of the Greater Chennai Corporation. Formed in 1688, it is the oldest municipal body among the commonwealth nations outside the UK. The building was designed by a Britisher G T S Harris and opened in 1913. It was named after Lord Ripon the Governor General of India from 1880-84. Lord Minto the then Viceroy of India laid the foundation stone in 1909.
Read more Ripon Building in Chennai.
Past posts –Raja Ravi Varma’s “Mohini On A Swing” – Vintage Print 1930s., Glimpse of British East India Company Era Howrah, Calcutta, 1860., Last Effort And Fall of Tipu Sultan, Old Print 1877., British India Family With Vintage Car – Old Photo 1925.