Madras Central Station & Europeans, Old PC 1915
Old 1915 pc or postcard that shows Europeans walking in front of the Madras Central Station. A glimpse of British-era life in Madras, now Chennai in the early 1900s. Two European women and perhaps their chaperone at the back possibly walking towards the station. A European person is also visible walking opposite.
Madras had a sizeable European population. Since many of them worked in the civil services, armed forces, or had businesses. They either worked in Fort St George, Harbour, customs, and other offices on North Beach road. All the establishments were in close proximity and not too distant from the station. They took residence in and around Fort St George, Whites Town, Mount Road going as far as Mylapore and Adyar.
The Madras Central Station was a railway terminus, it was the main station in the south of India. It used to be the Madras and Southern Mahratta Terminus until India’s independence. Opened in 1874 and except for a few cosmetic changes, this beautiful building hasn’t changed much since then, fortunately. Click on the photo for better view.
Did you know- Madras town was seized by the French in 1746, three years later, the town was restored to the British via a treaty.
From the collection- 1964 M. Suriyamoorthy Charcoal Art Abstract (#7)., Ooty Or Udhagamandalam In The Nilgiris (#1) – Old Photo1880., King George V’s Coronation Celebration Simla – Old Print 1911., The British Fort In Bombay – Antique Plan 1755