British Era Government House Madras, 1895 Photo
An 1895 photogravure print of the British-era Government House at Guindy, Madras (Chennai). Once the home of a Portuguese merchant, the East India Company bought it for the residence and office of the governor in 1753. The Governor of Madras occupied the Government House as a remote home. Since the original Government House was at Fort St George at that time.
The building was renovated and expanded in the neo-classical design in 1880. After India’s independence, it became the Raj Bhavan, the Governor of Tamil Nadu’s residence and office. Raj Bhavan is situated in an estate of 156 acres. Located at Guindy, once considered the outskirts of the city. Today the area is in the heart of the city. Notice two gardeners using long scythes to mow the lawn. A photogravure is the printing of top-quality images by the method of photographic and etching technic.
Read more about Raj Bhavan, Chennai.
Did you know- Portuguese were the first European to open a trading post with a fort in the city in 1523.
From the collection- 1964 M. Suriyamoorthy Charcoal On Paper (#2)., Maharaja Ranjit Singh’s Cavalcade – Old Print 1888., Two British Era Bridges Cochin – 2 Old Postcards., Types of Indian Native Character – Old Pictorial Book 1910