Click on the photo for better view
Canonor or Kannur – Antique Hand Colored Plan 1572
Antique 1572 hand-colored plan of Canonor or Kannur. Measures 23 x 15 cm. Just as the Portuguese established a trading post in Quilon or Kollam, they did so here in Kannur. It is near the northernmost end of the once Malabar coast. The region of Malabar was integrated into the state of Kerala after independence.
Calicut was the first landing place in India by the Europeans in 1498. Portuguese explorer Vasco Da Gama stopped at Canonor on his way back to Portugal from Calicut in 1498. A settlement was soon established, and in 1505 Fort St Angelo was built. The Portuguese rule lasted for nearly 160 years until surrendering to the Dutch in 1663.
The British then got hold of Canonor or Kannur defeating the Dutch. Spice was the chief reason, particularly pepper for the skirmishes among the Europeans. Teak, rosewood, cardamom, textiles, etc were not far behind in demand by the foreigners. Many centuries ago before the Europeans landed in Calicut. The Malabar Coast was very familiar to the Phoenicians, Greeks, Romans, Chinese traders.
Did you know- Kannur was the British military headquarters on India’s west coast from 1709 to 1887, until they relocated to the Nilgiris.
From the collection- Vintage Raja Ravi Varma “Shivaji” Oleograph Print., St Paul’s Cathedral In British Era Calcutta – Old Photo 1865., Crawford Market Mumbai – Rare Old Print 1874., Vintage Book 1881 – Everyday Life In India.