Royal Bombay Yacht Club & Lawn British Era, 1890 Postcard

royal bombay yacht club

bombay royal yacht club backside

A rare 1890 view of the Royal Bombay Yacht Club and lawns in British-era Bombay (Mumbai). This is the rear (maybe front) view of the club, the front faces the waterfront and the Apollo Bunder. To see the front go to Royal Bombay Yacht Club At Apollo Bunder – 2 PhotosLike the Byculla, Willingdon, and Bombay Gymkhana, the Royal Bombay Yacht Club also was an elite British-era social club.

It was especially a Europeans-only club, and no Indians were allowed entry. This rigid rule was adhered to until the 1950s. The club was founded in 1846, with Henry Morland as its commodore. The building was opened in 1881, and designed by John Adams with the supervision of F W Stevens. Stevens will be remembered for his architectural design of the spectacular Victoria Terminus. His other notable works were the Municipal Corporation Building, Royal Alfred Sailor’s Home, BB & CI Railway office at Churchgate. One of the royal visitors to the clubhouse was the Duke of Connaught in 1903.

Did you know – that the suffix “Royal” was added to the Bombay Yacht Club after getting prior permission from Queen Victoria.

Past posts – M. Suriyamoorthy Charcoal Drawing 1964 (#19)., Hotel D’Angelis’ Parisian Garden Restaurant Madras, 1907 Photo., Proposed Site of Rashtrapati Bhavan & Parliament Delhi, 1914., Royal Train For Prince of Wales India Tour, 1905 Print.