Rajaji Road From The Madras Pier, Old Photo 1942
An old 1942 photo with a view of Rajaji Road from the Madras Pier. Rajaji Road, formerly British-era First Line Beach or North Beach Road is one of the earliest roads of Madras, now Chennai. Commercial establishments were asked to move out from Fort St George in the 1830s. The businesses generally shifted to the First Line Beach or the Rajaji Road of today.
The view is from the Madras Pier or the harbour. The twin-capped building on the left is that of the Madras General Post Office (GPO). Others are the Bentinck building, Best & Co, Arbuthnot & Co, and so on. All were British business houses. Preceding the General Post Office are Parry’s Corner and the High Court not viewed here. Still further down would be Fort St George, from where the British colonial rule first began. In the vicinity of the GPO was the Beach Railway Station which is still running. Click on the photo for better view.
Did you know – the Madras Pier transformed into India’s leading harbour with world-class facilities.