Oldest View of Bowring Institute In Bangalore, 1890 Postcard
This rare 1890 photo postcard shows one of the oldest views of Bowring Institute in Bangalore (Bengaluru). It is a premium members-only club established in 1868. Which is still actively functioning at St Mark’s Road on a property of 12 acres. This rare view shows the club in its original unmodified state.
The building would undergo many alterations and additions over the course of time. See more posts on Bowring Institute that show its evolution. In its early days, it functioned from a rented building. At the time it was called the “Literary & Scientific Institute.” L. B. Bowring, the then chief commissioner of Mysore, and Coorg was its first president.
The club honored Bowring by renaming it in his name, who by that time retired to England. Major General Rowlands, commander of the Mysore Division helped in providing a permanent location. At St Mark’s Square, now St Mark’s Road which is still the current location. The construction of the club building commenced earnestly despite the many hiccups faced quite often. Finally, it opened in 1888 with facilities for recreation including dining for its members. Because of the building’s historical value, it is now a “State Protected Monument.” Click on the photo for better view.
Read more Club History.
Did you know- the institute was first started by a Britisher Benjamin Lewis Rice.