Click on the photo for better view
Bowring Institute Bangalore – Old Postcard 1895
This is the earliest and the rarest 1890 photo postcard of Bowring Institute a club in Bangalore or Bengaluru. Established in 1868, this premium members club is located in St Mark’s Road. In the heart of the city in 12-acres land.
Although the building had undergone many changes since then. This rare picture shows the building in its original state before it was modified with additional rooms. Because of its historical importance, it is now a “State Protected Monument.”
First named as the “Literary & Scientific Institute” that initially functioned from a rented building in 1868. LB Bowring, the then chief commissioner of Mysore and Coorg was the first president. Later the club would be named after him.
Major General Rowlands, commander of the Mysore Division, provided the land. At its present location then called St Mark’s Square, now St Mark’s Road. After many initial hiccups, the construction began in all earnestness. Completed in 1888 it opened with many recreation facilities for its members.
Read more- Club History.
See the modified club building in this post- Bowring Institute Club In Bangalore – Old Postcard 1900.
Notice the additional side wing rooms that would be added on either end of the building later.
Did you know- the institute was first started by a Britisher Benjamin Lewis Rice.