Bandora or Bandra In British Era Bombay, 1882 Print
The text is in French and translated it reads “View of Bandora, Near Bombay, From A Photograph.” At that time Bandra looked lushly wooded area in this rare engraving. It was a part of Salsette Island, which is now a Mumbai Suburban District. Salsette was one of the seven islands of Bombay, now Mumbai. In the early years, before the Portuguese rule, Bandra’s original inhabitants were the Kolis and farmers.
It was once a cluster of tiny villages populated by its original inhabitants, the Kolis. The British East India Company secured it for themselves from the Portuguese who had control of the whole of Bombay at the time. It was variously known as Bandor, Bandora, Bandera, Bandura, Bandara, etc. The British then anglicized it to Bandra. There were many Portuguese churches, and St Andrews was one of the earliest dating to 1575. Bandra has two hills Mount Mary and Pali Hills.
Read more History of Bandra.
Did you know- it has a Fort Castella de Aguada better known as Bandra Fort, built by the Portuguese in 1640.
From the collection- Vintage Photo Colaba Coast 1890., Vintage Postcard + FDC Prongs Lighthouse Mumbai., Vintage Print Madras of Buckingham Canal 1922., Antique Painting of Madras Fort St George., Book Everyday Life In India By Rowe