Hotel D’Angelis In British Era Madras, Old PC 1910
Old 1908 photo postcard of the popular Hotel D’Angelis in British era Madras. The Hotel was famous in Madras and South India in the early 1900s. The owner Italian Giacomo D’Angelis was equally famous as a cook, confectioner, and adventurer. The Duke of Buckingham and Chandos became the Governor of Madras Presidency from 1875 to 1880.
Giacomo who was the Duke’s confectioner also shifted to India and settled down in Madras (now Chennai). In the year 1880, he opened a small confectionary shop. Naming it Maison Française- specializing in French and Italian cakes, pastries, and chocolate. By dint of hard work coupled with sound practical experience, he soon made a name for himself as a restaurateur and general caterer.
But he was continually contemplating the building of a high-class hotel. He subsequently bought the place upon which the Hotel D’Angelis was conducted as shown in this photo postcard. This new establishment opened in the year 1908. It occupied a central position in the European quarter of Mount Road. Which was and still is the leading thoroughfare of Chennai city.
The D’Angelis Hotel was near to Madras Club and the Government House in Fort St George. It was within a few minutes’ drive from the Central Railway Station and Egmore Railway Station. And for its time it was furnished with all the luxuries. Which included the first electrical lift, electric fans, an ice-making plant, and hot water on tap. Eventually, Giacomo left for France in the 1920s, and the business was run by his son Carlo D’Angelis. But Carlo would drown in a lake during a duck hunting trip. The establishment was then sold to Hotel Bosotto in 1928. Click on the photo for better view.
Did you know- another Italian Federico Peliti was to Calcutta what Giacomo was to Madras.
From the collection- Vintage Raja Ravi Varma “Saraswati” Oleograph., Canoe Aids Army In India – Old Photo 1944., Queen Mary In Delhi – Old Print 1912., Mumbai Suburban Railway Electrification – Old Print 1926