Ernakulam High Court Boat Jetty, 1935 Photo
A rare 1935 photo of the High Court Boat Jetty at Ernakulam (Kochi). A rare view of the High Court Boat Jetty, although the High Court was not established at the time. It came into existence only in 1956, after the formation of Kerala State by merging Travancore, Cochin State, and Malabar. But colloquially the name of the jetty stuck from then on.
The Greek-style arch was removed once the work on the reclamation of Marine Drive and its promenade started in the 1970s-80s. The jetty is still in operation to this day connecting Fort Cochin, Bolghatty, Vypin, and so on. The High Court occupied the Ram Mohan Palace, constructed by Diwan Shanmugham Chetty to honour Viceroy Lord Linlithgow. A portion of the walled compound is visible in this photo. Click on the photo for better view.
See a picture of the Boat jetty at Ernakulam.
Did you know – adjacent to the High Court was the Ernakulam Old Railaway Station or Goods Station, it was the main station of the city till 1960. Loosing its prominence once the Ernakulam Junction Railway came into existence.
From the collection – 1964 M. Suriyamoorthy Charcoal Art Abstract (#7)., The Banqueting Hall Madras, Old Postcard 1925., Apollo Bunder Landing Jetty Bombay – Old Print 1880., Old Book – Cochin Saga By Robert Bristow.