Click on the photo for better view
St Thomas Cathedral In Bombay – 2 Old Postcards 1907
Two old 1907 postcards of the St Thomas Cathedral in Bombay, now Mumbai. St Thomas Cathedral has a history of more than 300 years within its gates. It is one of Bombay’s oldest landmarks. Building a church was first suggested by Gerald Aungier, British President of Surat. He came to settle down in Bombay in 1672. In after contributions flowed in from East India Company’s staff.
A site in Bombay Green (Horniman Circle) was found suitable. Around 1676 the foundation was laid but funds ran low. The walls were raised no higher than 15 feet when the funds completely dried up. For 30 years the church building stood derelict. In 1714 Rev. Richard Cobbe arrived in the city appointed by the East India Company as the new priest.
The Fort Chapel was the place of worship for the Britishers and he preached there. Cobbe met the Governor and persuaded him to restart the work on the half-completed church building. The work recommenced after 30 years and by Christmas day 1718 Governor Boone chose the day for the grand opening. Today the church stands dignified and tall.
Did you know- Sir Cowasji Jehangir a leading philanthropist then, gifted a fountain for freshwater to the Cathedral, although it no long spouts water now.
From the collection- 1964 M. Suriyamoorthy Charcoal Art Abstract (#16)., King George V At The 1911 Delhi Durbar – Old Photo 1920., Rioting In Southern India – Old print 1921., Opening Of The Madras Railway – Old Print 1856