British Flag Atop The Rashtrapati Bhavan, Old Photo 1936
This old photo postcard shows the British Flag flying high on the Viceroy’s House or Rashtrapati Bhavan in 1936. Once called the Viceroy’s House, Viceregal Lodge, Government House but is now better known as the Rashtrapati Bhavan. It was part of Lutyens and Baker’s entrusted work on the new capital city of Delhi. After the Battle of Plassey in 1757 led by Robert Clive, Britain not only won the Kingdom of Bengal but the whole dominion of India.
The British succeeded in strengthening their position. During the course of time, other territories in India were conquered. Turning Calcutta into the capital of the British regime in India. But by and by the colonial rulers apparently realized a more centralized capital was necessary to rule. Thus Delhi became the natural choice. The Viceroy’s House construction commenced in 1912 and was completed by 1929.
Shown is the British Flag or Union Jack atop the Viceroy’s House in 1936. Also shown is the Changing Of The Guards of the Royal Fusiliers. There is an inscription in pen that reads- “To Keith, 1st Royal Fusiliers guard mounting Viceregal Lodge 1936. This photo shows the old guard just coming off with the band & drums.” Click on the photo for better view.
Did you know- that Changing Of The Guard ceremony still continues in the Rashtrapati Bhavan and is as spectacular and impressive as it was before India’s independence.
From the collection- 1964 M. Suriyamoorthy Charcoal On Paper Two Women (#4)., Madras Mowbray’s Road – Old Photograph 1902., Swearing-In Of Lord Mountbatten At Delhi – Old Print 1947., Old Book – Story Of The Life Of George Stephenson 1863