Wellington Barracks Nilgiris, 1905 Postcard
This is an old 1905 photo postcard of Wellington Barracks in the Nilgiris. Wellington in the Nilgiris is a town just after Coonoor on the way to Ooty, in Nilgiri Hills. The barracks were accommodation for the British military troops, which is now occupied by the Indian army. The British troops first moved into this temporary barracks in 1854.
Soldiers, when posted to the south of India, were sometimes first sent to the Nilgiris for acclimatization of weather. Especially the first-timers. Otherwise, they fell sick because of the oppressive heat of the plains of the Madras Presidency.
Previously the ailing men were usually sent to cooler countries like Cape Town and Mauritius. But after discovering the cooler place right at their backyard the dispatching of the soldiers overseas was stopped. Thus saving a considerable amount of time and money.
Later a military training establishment was also opened here, after India’s independence, this became The Defence Services Staff College. The place became an important Cantonment at the time of British rule which is still an important cantonment center today.
The Madras Regimental Centre occupies the area since 1947. Wellington is approx. 3km from Coonoor and 15km from Ooty. Tourist places like- Mudumalai national park, Botanical garden,
Dodabeta peak, Kalhatti water Falls, Ooty Lake, etc are all in close range of the cantonment. See also- Neilgherries Map.
Did you know- the Barracks is now named Srinagesh Barracks in memory of the First Indian Colonel of the Madras Regiment Gen. S.M.Srinagesh.
From the collection- Vintage Postcard Deolali British Garrison Area., Rare Nilgiri Mountain Railway Steam Locomotive Drawing., Ooty Steam Loco Train Halt Over Bridge – Old Photo 1909., Rare Advertisement Taj Palace Hotel Bombay 1907