View of Madras Harbour & Parry’s Corner, 1870 Photo
This is an old 1870 photo with a view of the Madras Harbour and Parry’s Corner area. One of the earliest photographs of the area. The view is from the lighthouse that overlooks Black Town later called George Town. The original Madras Christian College building is visible in the front row seemingly undergoing repair/renovation.
It also shows the location of the Madras GPO and Parry’s building that would make an appearance on the skyline in the future. The white house with white compound walls in the front right corner would be the precise location of the future Parry’s building. The corner is known as Parry’s Corner even today.
The underdeveloped Esplanade road is shown in the foreground, later the Madras electric tram would ply on this street. The Esplanade Road meets the North Beach Road and the road from Fort St George. The empty ground in the picture is the Esplanade after which the road got its name. Fort St George (not pictured) is located opposite the Esplanade. Visible on the beach slightly on the northern end is the screw-pile pier surrounded by its concrete breakwaters.
Did you know- that the city was founded by the British East India Company. From a strip of land allotted to the East India Company by the Nayak ruler proxy rulers of the Vijayanagar Empire.
From the collection- 1964 M. Suriyamoorthy Charcoal Art Abstract (#12)., Kaisarbagh Palace Lucknow – Old Postcard 1897., Bandra Near Bombay – Old Print 1882., Vintage Book – History of The Bombay Army 1938